Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Brake/Fix

After realizing my brake lines were DEEP into borrowed time I decided to start cutting the 37 year old braking system out of the car.

This is what they looked like:

From ZCCNE Charity Inspection


From Z


YIKES!!!

So, I scurried down to my local Advance Auto Parts store and pick up a pile of pre-cut/flanged/fitted lines and a bending tool. They came in straight lengths that were all just about close enough to the stock lengths to work. Give or take an inch or two.

Jacked her up and started cuttin' and guttin'!

From Z


From Z


From Z


After approx 3 hours of work I finally got the original lines out of the rear end of the car.

Thankfully, the new lines went in much much easier.

From Z


From Z


From Z



Having bled brake lines in the past using the "Pumping Friend" method, I cannot urge you enough to go out and buy a vacuum bleeder kit. I bought this Mity-Vac at Harbor freight for about $25, and it is by far the most efficient way I have ever seen to bleed lines by yourself. See below.

From Z


I would NEVER do another brake job with out it.
After about 30 minutes of vacuuming and filling DOT 3, I was off and running testing my new lines on the street.

Mint.

No comments:

Post a Comment