Monday, December 13, 2010

GOT IT!

I tried PB blaster, a torch, a drill, a screw extractor, a hammer, a tow truck, and a pair of mutant Siamese goats to get this f*cking screw out of this block. What ended up working was a tool that looks like I stole it from the '50s.

Wiki:"An impact driver is a tool that delivers a strong, sudden rotational and downward force. In conjunction with toughened screwdriver bits and socket sets, they are often used by mechanics to loosen larger screws (bolts) and nuts that are corrosively "frozen" or over-torqued"

As it turns out, I have needed an impact driver for a long time and just didn't know it existed.

From Z


Since I stripped the hell out of the philips head portion of the screw, I had to dremel out a slot just big enough for my slotted bit.

From Z


I covered the block with paper towels to minimize metallic bits betting where they are not welcome.

From Z


Cut the slot in the screw on the right. the one on the left still had plenty of meat left for screwing (lol).

From Z


You just stick this thing on the screw, turn it to one side and hammer the piss out of it!

From Z


From Z


FINALLY!!!!

From Z


Be careful taking the plate out as you want to be sure you don't cut yourself.

From Z


From Z


If you do though, just wrap it in a shop towel.

From Z


Put your gloves on, and get back to work!

Good as new.

From Z



Big thanks to everyone for the suggestions. I demand that all of you add this too to your toolboxes immediately.

I got this one at Sears (Craftsman) for $20. It was marked $30 but they have it on sale for 31% off right now so go quick!

3 comments:

  1. Black and Decker > Dremel. Dremels have zero torque and slow down way too fast. If you need to cut anything that isn't wood or aluminum, get a Black and Decker.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely. I also paid a grand total of $19.99 for the whole set with a carry case and clamps and a pile of bits.

    Very highly recommend this tool.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you got it out. I guess that baffle is supposed to sit really tight, so it doesn't come lose and damage the crank. I'm gonna use some locktite or something when putting it back in. Oh and torx bolts. Torx ftw.

    ReplyDelete