Wednesday, June 8, 2011

How to fix a shitty clear coat - pt. 1

So with incorrect HVLP gun settings I sprayed down a clear coat that typical wet sanding and buffing couldn't fix.

From Z2


No matter how much you sand, you can't fix a thin spot without adding more clear.
So naturally, with my tail between my legs I start wet sanding the whole car.

From Z2


Using 800 grit wet sand paper, getting it as close as possible without burning through to the clear and ruining the metallic base coat.

From Z2


My local paint pro says that I should just leave the little dips because the clear will fill it in if i apply it correctly with enough light coats (3 or 4), then I will have enough to sand down and buff to a shine.

This part looks ripply but is smooth to the touch.

From Z2


Pretty much every single part needed sanding.

From Z2


I will run through the whole car using 1000 grit tonight and wash it thoroughly.

From Z2


Then I will be ready for a trip to gloss town.

No comments:

Post a Comment