Wednesday, August 25, 2010

25mm (1") Nismo Rear Sway Bar

In 1977 the Japanese S31 Fairlady Z shipped with a 25mm rear sway bar as an option from the factory.

From Dirty S30


Nissan Part# 55611-E4622 - 25mm

Although extremely rare (and extremely stiff) I stumbled across one on eBay and snatched it up.

Most kits that are available for the S30 chassis today are around 20mm. Adding 25% to the diameter of the bar increases the stiffness dramatically. Since I am crazy about rare parts, I totally had to get it.

There isn't really even any information on this part online. Just a couple posts on HybridZ and most of them are from me asking about it!

The beast:

From Z


From Z


From Z


It turns out that this bar actually mounts from in front of the differential. Every aftermarket bar I have seen, on the other hand, mounts from behind.

From Dirty S30


While trying to figure out how to install it, I tossed it on around the back like any aftermarket RSB.

From Z


As you can see, it doesn't line up correctly.

From Z


From Z




A lot of people seem to think that this is too much bar for the street.

I will be sure to let you know.


Special Thanks to the folks at HybridZ for digging up the image at the top and info about the part and how to mount it properly.

(and for laughing at me for trying to install it backwards and upside down haha)

I will post pics from the successful test fitting later.

2 comments:

  1. rare parts always kick ass!

    i thought i had you on my blogroll, but your blog popped up when i was researching the triple rotor common snapper car. haha, added you (again i think)?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks man! Dig your blog style.

    Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete