Monday, August 2, 2010

Dropped the tank

Got to drop out my fuel tank this weekend. The fuel system was WAY worse off than I thought.

Hooked up a 7 gal. drain pan from Harbor Freight and pulled the plug.

From Z


That rusty 70's fuel pump has got to go too.

From Z


This thing pissed chunks of who knows what, all over the floor. Ultra rusty and full of junk.

From Z


This little guy was full of rusty brown goodness also. I capped off the fuel delivery line to the mechanical fuel pump and ordered a few of these from my local Advance Auto.

From Z


Really not that difficult to drop. I was expecting to have to deal with more of a fight. My straps and strap bolts are a rusty mess so those will have to be replaced. As will my fuel tank. After I let most of the gas drain/evaporate out, I picked it up and shook it around. TONS and TONS of crap inside. I hit it with a flashlight and the inside of this tank is a total loss.

From Z


Much lighter!

From Z


I also figured out why my fuel level sending unit wasn't working.

From Z


GASP.

From Z


I really wish I could show you how bad the inside of my tank is, but I think the condition of my level sending unit is a fair representation.

Into the darkness...

From Z

No comments:

Post a Comment