Monday, October 25, 2010

De-constructive.

I have been putting off working on my cowl for quite some time now. There was considerable surface rust along the base of the cowl and i couldn't figure out a way to get rid of it without putting in a whole lot of effort (which I really hate to do).

This is how it looked when I first uncovered it.

From Z


Once I cleaned out all of the pine needles and crap, I had to figure out a way to get my power drill and wire wheel in such a tight space to blast the rust out.

Problem solved.

From Z


I used this (which works like a CHAMP) and a regular wire wheel to brush out the whole thing inside and out.

From Z


Then treated it with my favorite rust conversion chemical, PickleX 20.

From Z


Magic, as usual.

From Z


From Z


Now it's time to remove my fenders.

First you have to remove the side markers and the headlights.

From Z


Then I unbolted the fender all the way around and underneath.

From Z


There were three bolts holding the front air dam onto the headlight bucket and fender.

From Z


And shazam. She came right off.

From Z


Full of bird seed and sunflower seeds and shit from the mice.

From Z


Hit the whole thing with a nylon brush and a vacuum just to clean it up a bit.

From Z


Ahh... Time to Beer.

From Z


Anyone who is into really hoppy beers will greatly appreciate Sam Adam's Latitude 48. I will definitely recommend this one.

Ran into a bit of an issue with one of the passenger fender bolts.

From Z


Nothing a little Dremel action cant fix!

From Z


Badass!

From Z


Whipped off the doors and the passenger side fender and headlight bucket.

From Z


Lots of work ahead. I will be sanding and sealing all under and around where the fenders cover, along with the inside of the fenders. I need to make sure that we don't ever run into any rust issues again.

From Z


Doors, air dam, and fenders, off and ready to be stripped and prepped for paint!

From Z


Very exciting.

1 comment:

  1. Keep up the good work!
    I know it's a bit hard, but the result will make you happy every time you look at it.

    ReplyDelete