Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Diff Werkz

A couple of weeks ago I dropped the rear end out of the Z.

From Z


Rusty, old, and DIRTY!

From Z


Ick.

Anyone who has tried to disassemble a rear end after removing it knows that once you free it from the chassis, it becomes very difficult to get some good torque on any of the bolts.

It really turns into a squirmy little bugger.

Nothing a torch can help with! (Notice I jammed my ratchet in the axle to keep it from turning)

From Z


Torch = mandatory.

After blasting everything with heat and my new ELECTRIC IMPACT WRENCH!!!!!



WOOT!

The diff was finally free of the axles and diff mount.

From Z


MAN this thing is dirty.

From Z


So I start scraping. It is covered with what appears to be 40 years of road grime and factory undercoating.

Who would have known that this was originally painted black?

From Z


Take my stiff wire brush and face mask (don't breath in rust dust.. ever) and I brush all of the flaky corrosion and primer off the diff case.

From Z


Then I hit it with some of my legendary miracle sauce, PickleX 20, and rubbed it down.

From Z


After the chemical reaction with the rust particles it turns a frosty white color.

From Z


I don't think the gear oil in this thing has EVER been changed. The Fill and drain plus were a MOTHERFUCKER to get out.

The torch did NOTHING.

From Z


So I decided to just pull the cover.

From Z


As YouTube instructs, leave the top bolt in place so when you break the seal of the cover it doesn't come flying at you with a shit load of toxic 90 weight.

From Z


Tap tap taperoo.

From Z


Eeeeewwww...

Out drained the gnarliest toxic black sludge I have ever seen or smelled.

From Z


Happy to see VERY few metal shavings on the magnetic diff plug.

From Z


Draining.

From Z


From Z


After stripping the paint off of the removed cover, I hit it with some Brasso to try and clean it up a bit.

From Z


Wire brush.

From Z


Looking much nicer.

From Z


The Internet says to use RTV for a gasket.

From Z


I am concerned that maybe I used a bit too much. Ehh.. if it blows up ill swap an R200. :D

From Z


Sealed it back up and taped it off for some paint!

From Z


I decided to go with some High-Temp Engine enamel. This paint is rated for 500 degrees Fahrenheit, which is plenty for my diff.

From Z


After letting it dry, I unwrapped it and voila!

From Z


From Z


Before:

From Z


After:

From Z


Much more respectable.

Tough Guy approves!

From Z

2 comments:

  1. I've got to tackle this eventually too. Not looking forward to it.

    I've had a 4.11 r180 sitting around for 7 years now...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah it's not something I want to do everyday but it was a good learning experience for me.

    I'm gonna run this one into the ground on this L24 and swap to an R200 when I get a round to going L28E/L28ET.

    ReplyDelete